Scanning of Paper Instructor Evaluations
University Testing and Scanning provides optical mark (OMR) scanning and analysis of instructor paper-based Scantron evaluations.
Note: If you have questions related to the online course evaluation system currently used by most of the university's colleges and schools, please refer to online course evaluation FAQ. For more information, please contact us.
Fees for Paper Eval Scanning
- $80 setup/programming
- $0.30 per scanned sheet. Note that the per-sheet scan rate is multiplied by the number of times the batch must be scanned.
- The instructor evaluations should be completed on NCS Form 19543 or 70921. Only one type of form can be used per class. Users of Form 70921 should contact us for instructions regarding printing on the form.
- A #2 pencil must be used to make strong black marks. Evaluation forms completed with pens or markers result in improper scoring and cannot be processed. Be sure evaluation sheets have no stray marks or writing anywhere but the places designed for marking. Forms should not be bent, folded, or otherwise mutilated. Changed responses should be erased completely with no apparent smudges.
- It is not necessary to complete any identifying information such as ID number or special codes. If completed, however, these grid sections must be left justified.
- Arrange the evaluations so that they are facing the same direction with the same face up. Improperly sorted forms will delay processing considerably.
- Submit only completed sheets for processing. Make sure that no other papers or blank answer sheets are included as they interrupt the scoring and affect statistical results.
- Place evaluation sheets in a campus mail envelope (use one envelope per course). Do not use staples, paper clips, binder clips or rubber bands to group forms as these can mutilate forms and result in improper scoring. Leave envelopes open.
- Label each packet with a printed label using a minimum 16 point font. Include on the label the instructor's name, course prefix and number, and line number. See example below. Apply labels to the upper left corner of each envelope. Evaluation packets without this information will not be processed. Handwritten labels are not acceptable.
12345 [LINE NUMBER]
- Complete one green instructor evaluation processing request form [PDF, 46 KB | DOC, 107 KB] (also available at our office) per department per box of evaluations. Please wait until you have collected all evaluations before bringing them to us for scanning. Insert the upper right corner of the green form into the time stamp at our office and tape it to the box or first envelope in the stack. Please submit only OPEN envelopes for scanning. Do not seal or tie.
- Your department will be notified when evaluations have been processed. We cannot guarantee a specific processing time for evaluations. Scanning of classroom exams takes priority to all jobs received, to ensure student success measures are timely. Thank you for planning the largest window for processing and we will work with you to meet your deadlines as well.
Frequency Tabulation by Quick Survey provides the number of students who responded to each question, the number of students who responded to each item, the percentage of students who responded to each item, the number of responses missing, the mean, the standard deviation, and the median.
Explanation of Report Terms
- Total f is the number of students that answered each item.
- Total % is the percentage of students that answered each item.
- Miss is the number of responses that are missing.
- N is the total number of students that answered this item.
- Mean is the average.
- SD is the range above or below the average where the majority of the responses lie. The more the responses are spread out, the higher will be the standard deviation.
- MDN is the response corresponding to the 50th percentile. It is a useful estimate of the typical score, especially when there are extremely high or low responses since exactly half the scores are higher and half are lower.