The ACCUPLACER is used as a placement test for first-year English composition courses. Admitted ASU students who have not sent official ACT or SAT scores to ASU may need to take the WritePlacer section of the ACCUPLACER for placement into a first-year English composition course. Information regarding university testing requirements and first-year composition placement can be found in the ASU General Catalog. Students may not use the ACCUPLACER WritePlacer exam to achieve credit for first year English Composition courses.
The ACCUPLACER Website describes the test as follows: “This test measures your ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success. Your writing sample will be scored on the basis of how effectively it communicates a whole message to the readers for the stated purpose. Your score will be based on your ability to express, organize, and support your opinions and ideas, not the position you take on the essay topic.” Additional information concerning the written essay may be found on the College Board ACCUPLACER Website. ASU uses ONLY the WritePlacer portion of the exam. You will be given 60 minutes to write an essay on an assigned topic. There will be no multiple choice portion of the exam.
Scores are available immediately after completion of the exam for you to see, however, your scores will normally take 3 - 5 business days to appear in your student record. Scores for WritePlacer exams taken on or after May 13, 2009, the essay scores range from 0 to 8. Placement into an English composition course will be made on the following basis:
- A WritePlacer Plus score of 4 or below = WAC 101 or WAC 107
- A WritePlacer Plus score of 5 to 7 = ENG 101 or ENG 107
- A WritePlacer Plus score of 8 = ENG 105
Scores for WritePlacer exams taken prior to May 12, 2009 range from 0 to 12. Placement into an English composition course was made on the following basis:
- A WritePlacer Plus score of 7 or below = WAC 101 or WAC 107
- A WritePlacer Plus score of 8, 9, or 10 = ENG 101 or ENG 107
- A WritePlacer Plus score of 11 or 12 = ENG 105
The ACCUPLACER registration fee is $40. Fees are non-refundable.
Students will have 60 minutes to type an essay to a prompt. Students should allow about 90 minutes for the total appointment time to complete necessary paperwork, receive instructions prior to the exam and take the test.
Register to take the Accuplacer
There are five options to take the Accuplacer exam. Make sure you select the correct option when you register.
- Register for an exam session at the Tempe Campus (Exam Name when registering = ACCUPLACER-In Person).
- Register for an exam session at the West Campus (Exam Name when registering = ACCUPLACER WEST). When registering for an exam session at the West Campus you will select the By Appointment option. Once you have completed the registration process you will be provided a contact name and phone number to call and schedule a specific date and time for your exam. You must schedule and take your exam within 30 days of registering for your exam. If you do not take your exam within 30 days you will be required to register and pay your fees again.
- Register for an exam session at the Lake Havasu Campus (Exam Name when registering = ACCUPLACER LAKE HAVASU). When registering for an exam session at the Lake Havasu Campus you will select the By Appointment option. Once you have completed the registration process you will be provided a contact name and phone number to call and schedule a specific date and time for your exam. You must schedule and take your exam within 30 days of registering for your exam. If you do not take your exam within 30 days you will be required to register and pay your fees again.
- Register to take your exam with an online proctor (Exam Name when registering = ACCUPLACER ONLINE). This option requires that you have a webcam, speakers, and a microphone on your computer. You must be in a quiet uninterrupted location free from any resources that may help you on the exam. When registering you will select the By Appointment option and pay your fees. After registering, you will be sent a testing voucher and instructions within 2 - 5 business days. The testing voucher you receive is only valid for 90 days from the date it is sent to you. If you do not take your exam within 90 days, you will be required to register and pay your fees again. You must pay your registration fee online prior to receiving information on how to make the arrangements to take your exam online.
- Register to take your exam at another college or university with an in person proctor (Exam Name when registering = ACCUPLACER REMOTE). Students who use this option must locate a proctor at an educational institution that is willing and able to administer the exam and is a member of the Consortium of College Testing Centers (CCTC) (https://ncta.memberclicks.net/find-a-cctc-participant). Students are responsible for paying any proctoring fees associated with this option. ASU will not pay any fees for tests that are delivered remotely. When registering you will select By Appointment option and pay your fees. After registering, you will need to print the Proctor Security Agreement [PDF, 86 KB] for your proctor to complete. Institutions administering the ACCUPLACER exam must be members of the Consortium of College Testing Centers - CCTC (http://www.ncta-testing.org/cctc/find.php). The Proctor Security Agreement must be submitted to ASU PRIOR to any testing instructions being sent to the identified proctor and you will be notified when the testing arrangements have been approved. You MUST allow at least 2 – 5 business days for testing arrangements to be completed OR International students who have been admitted to ASU may take the ACCUPLACER exam in their home country. Students will need to locate a proctor/invigilator who can read and write in English. This proctor/invigilator should be a faculty or staff member in an educational institution and a member of the Consortium of College Testing Centers (http://www.ncta-testing.org/cctc/find.php). The exam name when registering for this option is ACCUPLACER REMOTE. After registering and paying your fees online, you will need complete and submit the International Proctor Agreement [DOC, 29 KB] to ASU PRIOR to testing instructions being released to your identified proctor. You will be notified when the testing arrangements have been approved. At that time, you will then need to make an appointment with the local test proctor and pay any test administration fees assessed by this proctor. Please allow at least 3 – 5 business days for these arrangements to be completed. You must schedule and take your exam within 30 days of registering for your exam. If you do not take your exam within 30 days you will be required to register and pay your fees again.
Registration fees are non-refundable.
Transfer of a test fee to another test date can be made under the following conditions:
- Space is available on the requested test date.
- All transfers must be made ON or BEFORE your originally scheduled exam. After the originally scheduled exam date a full registration fee of $40 will be required in order to test.
- To transfer the test date, call or come in to the testing services office to pay a $15.00 transfer fee with a credit card.
- Walk-in or same day appointments are not available.
- YOU MUST CHECK IN AT LEAST 15 MINUTES BEFORE TEST TIME TO BE ADMITTED! Late examinees will not be seated.
- On the day of the test, the student must present an original, valid form of photo ID. A photocopy is not acceptable. Examples of acceptable forms of ID would be a driver's license, passport or student ID. The name on the ID must match the registered name.
- Cell phones are prohibited.
Parking (Tempe Campus)
Lot 55 - University Center [UCNTRB] parking fees are $2/hr or $10/day. Please pre-pay for your parking before coming to the Testing & Scanning Services Office. The parking machine, operated by Parking and Transit Services, accepts Visa or MasterCard, $1 and $5 dollar bills. Change is not provided by the parking pay station or the testing office. The parking machine is located by the front entrance to each building. Please remember your parking space number, as it will be required to make your payment. The Park Mobile parking zone is #60112. When considering your parking payment for this exam please allow for 1.5 hours including check in and check out for the exam.